A while back I posted a recipe for vegan mac and cheese. And although it was the best recipe I had produced at the time, I have to admit that I haven’t been quite satisfied with it.
Recently, I had a craving for vegan nachos with cheese sauce, so I did some searching on and found this excellent recipe on Food.com. This one has a higher proportion of cashews, which results is a rich, creamy texture.
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 2 cups raw cashews (roasted won’t give you the nice creamy texture)
- Another 2 ½ cups of filtered water
- Strained juice of 1 lemons
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular works, too, but smoked provides a deeper flavor)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup of beer (a dark beer, like porter, is preferred)
- 4 slices of whole grain bread, toasted
1. Soak the cashews in filtered water overnight.
2. Drain the water from the cashews and place them in a blender with all of the ingredients, except for the beer and bread, and blend until smooth.
3. Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan, add the beer and heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently
4. Spread over the toasted bread and serve with a salad for a simple, delicious meal!
To make nacho cheese sauce, eliminate the beer, replace the mustard powder with garlic powder and add 1 tablespoon of chili powder.
*Most Welsh Rarebit recipes call for Worcestershire Sauce, but this contains anchovies. If you are not a strict vegan, this adds a nice depth to the flavor.