I used to rely on my copy of Diet for a Small Planet for creative vegetarian meal ideas. I loved it so much that I wore it out – it literally fell apart from use. I’ve never replaced it, but several recipes have stayed in my heart and memory bank. Here is one of my favorites, which I have adapted.
You will need the following:
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used Lundberg Black Japonica™, but short grain brown works well too)
- 1 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped pecans (I have also used walnuts)
- 1 medium organic onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 large organic eggs
- olive oil to coat the baking dish
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a medium baking dish, or loaf pan, with vegetable oil.
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add to the rice mixture and blend well.
Evenly spread mixture in the pre-oiled baking dish/loaf pan and bake until crispy on top, about 45 minutes.
Serve with a salad for a delicious, easy, hearty meal. It makes great leftovers, if you are lucky enough to have any.
[tweetmeme source=”herbanlifestyle” service=”tinyurl.com”]